- Small-group day trip from Vienna to the Wachau Valley
- Visit beautiful villages and historical sites with your expert guide, including the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Dürnstein
- Enjoy a Wachau Valley wine tasting at a traditional winery and lunch at a wine tavern
- Admire the picturesque landscape as you tour the Austrian countryside by comfortable coach
- Relax on a Danube River Cruise from Spitz to Melk (May to September)
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
This tour starts from our tour office, located at Franz Josefs Kai 45 (Metro U2 / U4 Schottenring, take exit “Schottenring” or “Salztorbrücke”. Hotel pick up can be arranged upon request. Please contact the local tour operator directly.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Arrive in the medieval town of Dürnstein, where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned in 1192. Soak up some free time to roam the castle ruins and wander the charming streets. After working up an appetite, get cozy in a local wine tavern and savor a traditional lunch (own expense).
Hop back aboard your coach and view the passing scenery as you head deeper into the valley. From May to September, relax with an hour-long river cruise from Spitz to Melk along the Danube River.
Continue to Melk Abbey (admission included during winter months), a renowned Benedictine abbey dating back to 1089 and home to stunning views of the Danube.
Before returning to Vienna, you’ll also have the chance to sample local blends at a small winery, as well as other regional specialties. Visit the valley’s oldest church, founded in 987, all while learning the rich heritage and history behind the Wachau Valley.
Your day trip will conclude at your original departure point in the evening.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Danube river cruise operates between May and September only. In the winter months entrance and one-hour guided tour of Melk Abbey will be included as a replacement
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Vienna Explorer
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
See all safety measures taken by Wachau Valley Small-Group Tour and Wine Tasting from Vienna.