- Visit the Basilica of San Clemente and its ancient underground ruins
- Take in historic Santi Quattro Coronati and its Oratorio di San Silvestro
- Skip-the-line entry to both basilicas to maximize your time inside
- A guide to explain the impressive mosaics, frescoes, and cosmatesque work
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Enjoy skip-the-line entry with your guide and begin in the 12th-century church at street level. Admire the gorgeous 13th-century mosaics in the apse of the basilica as well as the floor. Learn about the Schola Cantorum, which includes some elements of the earlier basilica, before descending the stairs.
See what remains of the 4th-century basilica, including the former central nave and aisles, as you learn about the saints shown in the frescoes on this level—San Clemente and Sant'Alessio (Alexius).
Continue deeper under the basilica to see the remains of a 3rd-century Mithraic altar in a small temple room. Visit the very lowest level under the church to see part of a 1st-century Roman home.
Then move on to the Santi Quattro Coronati Church, built in the 4th-century, and was built in tribute to the four Roman soldiers who were executed for refusing to adore Esculapio. Visit the Oratorio di San Silvestro, with frescoes dating back to the 13th century and show some episodes from the legend of Costantino.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- OPERATED BY Mea ToursEvents S.r.l.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by St. Clements Basilica and Quattro Coronati Church Small-Group Tour.
- "Perhaps the best thing here is the relatively easy access to the Mitra Mithra temple, at the lowest level." See review