- Unearth Rome’s underground attractions and spooky past on this Super Saver
- Combine two intriguing Rome tours at a discounted price
- Enjoy skip-the-line access to Domitilla Catacombs and the Basilica of San Clemente
- Visit the Capuchin Crypt and the subterranean chapel decorated by human bones
- See top Rome attractions at night during a ghost and mystery walking tour
- Hear blood-curdling stories about Rome’s most sighted ghosts and mysterious happenings
Departure & Return
Departure PointProvince of Rome, Province of Rome, Lazio
Return Details02010 Castel Sant'Angelo, Lazio, Province of Rieti, Italy
What To Expect
Your afternoon tour starts by meeting your guide and heading outside the city center to the Appian Way, an ancient road that was once an important thoroughfare leading in and out of Rome. When you arrive at the Domitilla Catacombs (Catacomb di Santa Domitilla), sail past the entrance queue with your skip-the-line ticket, and descend into the tunnels with your guide.
As you explore this subterranean burial site, learn about the funeral customs of Rome’s early Christians and how they used these chambers to worship in secret when Christianity was prohibited. Then travel to the Basilica of San Clemente, where you again have skip-the-line access to explore this unique church made up of three structures built on top of one another.
Your last destination is the Church of Santa Maria della Concezione, home to the Capuchin Crypts. Inside the crypt museum, you can see St Francis in Meditation, a painting by Caravaggio, as well as other artifacts related to Italy's patron saint, St Francis. Then enter the crypts themselves, where you’ll be perhaps awed, appalled, fascinated or revolted by a chapel made completely of human bones.
Your tour ends outside the chapel. At this point you have about three hours of free time to have dinner on your own and relax however you wish before the second half of your Super Saver begins.
Ghost and Mystery Walking Tour of Rome (1.5 hours)
When the sun goes down on the city, start your evening tour of Rome’s ghostly sites at Sant’Andrea della Valle, a church near the Tiber River. Meet your guide and set off on foot to see the Eternal City’s famous landmarks under the enigmatic cover of night.
Follow your guide along the historical center’s winding lanes, listening to spine-tingling tales about spirit sightings and eerie legends while you admire the illuminated cityscape. Walk by Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, through Campo de’ Fiori and past Palazzo Farnese, and stroll along Via Giulia and Via del Governo Vecchio on your way to Piazza Navona, one of the city’s liveliest squares.
Your tour ends outside Castel Sant’Angelo, a daunting structure that was commissioned as a private mausoleum but has also spent time as a prison and a pope’s residence. Hear about its shadowy history before your guide bids you goodnight, leaving you at a central location to continue your night out in Rome on your own.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
- OPERATED BY City Wonders Ltd
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
See all safety measures taken by Rome Super Saver: Skip-the-Line Crypts and Catacombs plus Ghost and Mystery Walking Tour.