Explore our promoted experiences
- Trekking adventure on Mendenhall Glacier
- Visit and learn about various habitats including rainforest and rocky terrain
- Hike around ice caves, streams and crevasses
- Hotel pickup and drop-off is included
Departure & Return
The “C” Sign, located near the cruise ship docks directly between Mt. Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeries building, is our centralized downtown meeting location for all clients in the downtown area, including the majority of cruise ship passengers.
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
The day begins with pickup from your Juneau hotel or the port. When you arrive at the trailhead for the Mendenhall Glacier, follow your guides on a 3.5-mile (6-km) trail through the rain forest along Mendenhall Lake. While the first mile is on a well-maintained path with a few switchbacks, the rest of the trail involves hiking on bedrock and rock scrambling in steep areas.
When you reach the glacier, you’ll be outfitted in trekking gear and receive a safety briefing. You’ll use crampons to make your way across glacial terrain that overlooks Mendenhall Lake. It may be the most physically challenging part of the hike, but it’s an unforgettable experience. Climb down to explore ice caves, and soak up great views of crevasses, streams, and other breathtaking glacial formations.
Afterward, head back down the trail and enjoy a relaxing ride back to your drop-off location.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- You must include the following in the comments section when booking: raingear & shoe sizes for each passenger, (for adult men and women, S-XXL and youth, S-L) and any pertinent medical information. Smallest shoe size that can be accommodated is Youth 2 and largest is Adult 14.
- This small group adventure has a minimum of 2 and maximum of 12 participants
- Minimum age is 10 years
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant on the trip must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver is not permitted
- Clients must be in good enough shape and conditioned to hike for up to 6-6.5 hours, covering about 8 miles roundtrip. The hike is challenging and clients need to bring sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle support while hiking on rocky terrain. All clients will need to hike with a backpack the entire way on this trip. The backpack (provided) weighs approximately 10-15 pounds and holds mountaineering gear, snacks/water, etc.
- Accessing ice caves, moulins, or any other glacial feature is not guaranteed: Due to the dynamic nature of the Mendenhall Glacier features are in constant change. Your guide will assess each available feature prior to accessing to determine if it’s safe to explore. The Mendenhall Glacier is receding on a daily basis and due to this we are seeing significant changes to the surface of the glacier. There are very limited safe areas to access and explore on the ice with crampons. Safety is our number one priority and we can not guarantee every trip will hike on the glacier. We assess conditions day to day. The edge of the glacier has some of the most stunning features; caves, tunnels, tubes, and crevasses which create those beautiful blue colors.onstantly changing nature of the Mendenhall glacier. Your guide will assess the hazards the day of the trip and determine if a particular area is safe enough to trek upon or enter
- Hiking boots with with good stability and traction
- Comfortable hiking pants, warm sweater or fleece, hat, and gloves recommended
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Safety harnesses fit up to 42 inch waist size and 28" inch leg size. Not able to accommodate larger waist/leg sizes.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Above and Beyond Alaska
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff