- Private tour of Istanbul’s Jewish sites
- Learn about the centuries-old history and culture of Istanbul’s Jewish community
- Admire the Galata Tower, one of the city's most striking landmarks
- Visit two prominent synagogues, Ashkenazi Synagogue and Etz Ahayim Synagogue
- Gain a deeper understanding of Jewish and Muslim coexistence at the Jewish Museum of Turkey
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
What To Expect
Next, walk over to the Ashkenaz Synagogue, currently the only active synagoue of it kind in Istanbul. Learn about the Austrian Jews who established it in 1900 for the Ashkenazi Jewish sect. Today the synagogue still celebrates bar mitzvahs, weddings, other religious ceremonies and is available to visitors and those who wish to pray.
With your expert guide continue through the Beyoğlu neighborhood to the Jewish Museum of Turkey formerly known as the Zülfaris Synagogue. Learn how this 19th century religious building was renovated and rebuilt as a musuem in 2001 to honor the 500th anniversary of Sephardic Jews coming to the Ottoman Empire. Enter the museum and see how Jewish culture and tradition coalesced with Turkish history. Plus, learn how Muslims and Jews lived with one another and see a display that explains the successful Jewish quest from Spain to Turkey.
Finally, visit Etz Ahayim Synagogue also referred to as the Ortaköy Synagogue. Located in the Beşiktaş district in the neighborhood of Ortaköy, gain insight into how various ethnicities and religions such as Greeks, Turks, Armenians and Jews were all able to live together in harmony during the rule of the Ottoman Empire. Even in present day this neighborhood is a perfect example of how colors and creeds can live in peace.
In the afternoon, leave Ortaköy with new knowledge of Jewish history in Turkey and head back to your hotel where your tour concludes.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- In the event of any museum closures, an alternative similar museum will be visited
- Not recommended for children aged 4 and under
- Children 18 years and under must be accompanied by an adult
- Please note you MUST provide your full passport details at time of booking. This information is required in order to obtain permission to enter the synagogues
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Neon Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
See all safety measures taken by Private Tour: Istanbul's Jewish Heritage.