1 hour 30 minutes (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Explore our promoted experiences
Get an in-depth perspective on Edinburgh on this guided tour that goes deeper than most. Usually led by a guide with a PhD in Scottish history, this tour offers a journey through Edinburgh’s medieval Old Town from the main thoroughfares to the hidden closes (alleyways) and courtyards. Your guide shares tales of dramatic events in the neighborhood's history, as well as those of the writers, philosophers, and inventors who called the area home.
- Led by either the holder of a PhD in Scottish history or a guide with decades of experience
- Relaxed pace: Take the opportunity to ask questions
- Offers an insight into Scottish history glossed over by many tours
- Includes visits to Canongate Kirkyard and the underground vaults
Saved to wishlist!
90 Minute tour of Edinburgh’s Old Town and South Bridge vaults.
Tour led by a well trained, highly knowledgeable and personable guide.
Relaxed nature of the tour allows for plenty of questions and further discussion.
Learn about the extraordinary events which shaped this great city.
Access to our exclusive section of underground.
For those who want to learn more about Edinburgh’s past this tour is a must do!
Departure & Return
124 High St, Edinburgh EH1 1QS, UK
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY City of Edinburgh Tours
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
Compare Similar Experiences
Old Town Historical and Underground Tour
1 hour 30 minutes
1 hour 15 minutes
1 hour 20 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Walking ToursHistorical ToursWalking & Biking ToursCultural & Theme ToursTours & SightseeingEdinburghWalking Tours - St. AndrewsHistorical Tours - St. AndrewsWalking Tours - StirlingHistorical Tours - StirlingWalking Tours - GlasgowHistorical Tours - GlasgowCategory
Royal Scottish Academy Tours & TicketsGrassmarket Tours & TicketsScottish National Gallery of Modern Art (Modern One) Tours & TicketsCamera Obscura and World of Illusions Tours & TicketsMuseum of Edinburgh (Huntly House) Tours & TicketsScott Monument Tours & TicketsForth Road Bridge Tours & TicketsScottish National Gallery of Modern Art Two (Dean Gallery) Tours & TicketsSt. Columba's Bay Tours & TicketsRosslyn Castle (Roslin Castle) Tours & TicketsCastle Rock Tours & TicketsLinlithgow Loch Tours & TicketsEdinburgh Old Town Tours & TicketsEdinburgh Zoo Tours & TicketsGilmerton Cove Tours & TicketsScotch Whisky Experience Tours & TicketsThe Canongate Tours & TicketsRoyal Botanic Garden Edinburgh Tours & TicketsLoch Lomond Tours & TicketsNational Museum of Scotland Tours & Tickets