Explore our promoted experiences
- Horseback riding tour in the North Carolina mountains
- Get to know the horses and select the perfect one to ride
- Travel the Fern Forest Trail, with elevations up to 4,000 feet
- Guided safety training included
Departure & Return
For the Meeting Point, go to Cullowhee North Carolina. At the 4th stop light on hwy 107 turn right on to Cullowhee Mountain Road and go 9 miles to the top of Cullowhee Mountain. Turn left onto our driveway, Arrowmont Trail. Go 1/4 mile on our driveway and meet us at the Stables.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Travel through the Old Fort Lodge, a former youth camp that is still used for activities and special events, then embark on the beautiful Fern Forest Trail with your guide, riding through a lush, deep wood at 4,000 feet. Situated within the Nantahala National Forest, the trail is relatively flat considering its elevation and is suitable for all skill levels. Look for a variety of wildlife in their natural environment, including local wild turkeys and deer.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Plan an extra 50-60 minutes, in addition to your trail time, for your safety and training program
- Please Note: The safety program starts at your stated trail time, not before it. Your trail immediately follows your safety program.
- Your safety program consists of a video or live demonstration covering the horse's training, safety, and horse personality
- You are given a chance to try your horse in the ring before departing. If needed, your horse can be changed before your trail
- Ages need to be given at time of booking so we may assign proper horses
- Closed-toe shoes are required
- Long pants recommended
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Arrowmont Stables & Cabins
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons