Gediminas Castle Tower withstood Teutonic crusades, invasions, and civil wars, and served as a fortress as late as the 19th-century. Today the castle tower is part of the National Museum of Lithuania. It's easy to pair a visit with a day adventuring in the Old Town. You can arrive by funicular, buy a ticket to explore the tower's immersive history exhibit, and enjoy views to the Vilnius TV Tower, Soviet-era apartment blocks, and Neris River.
Things to know before you go
- Spontaneous travelers can avoid planning—and see more—on a multi-day regional tour to countries like Estonia, Latvia, and Belarus; most tours include the Vilnius Old Town.
- Complimentary Gediminas Castle Tower entry is provided to preschool-aged kids, adults with disabilities, and travelers with a Vilnius City Card.
- Adults, children, and seniors enjoy discounted admission.
- Travelers report the tower is not wheelchair-accessible.
How to get there
The funicular up to Gediminas Hill is the most convenient way to reach Gediminas Castle Tower. The funicular operates seven days a week throughout the year, and is easy to find in the courtyard next to the Vilnius Cathedral. If you're taking the funicular down—not on a round-trip ride—stop by the ticket office to purchase fare once you reach the bottom. The ticket office closes 30 minutes before the last departure of the day.
When to get there
The evening sight of the Old Town from the tower is truly picturesque, though daytime visitors can enjoy views of the wider Vilnius cityscape. To save on the cost of entry, stop by on the last Sunday of the month, when all visitors enjoy complimentary admission. You can also arrive anytime with a Vilnius City Card.
How to See More of Vilnius
From the Old Town to Uzupis, Gediminas Castle Tower to the Gate of Dawn, the best way to see the top sights around Vilnius is on a guided tour. You can avoid itinerary planning, learn more along the way, and choose from numerous tour styles. Walking tours, Segway tours, and even photo tours visit the Old Town, while comprehensive tours are best if you want to see more, including Vilnius University and the Presidential Palace.
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Transylvania
- Vilnius Cathedral (Arkikatedra Bazilika)
- National Museum of Lithuania, New Arsenal
- Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania (National Museum)
- Amber Museum-Gallery (Gintaro Muziejus-Galerija)
- St. Anne's Church
- Bernardine Church (Bernardinu Parapija)
- Presidential Palace
- Vilnius University (Vilniaus Universitetas)
- Money Museum (Pinigu Muziejaus)
- Subacius Hill
- Vilnil Museum of Illusions
- Gediminas Avenue (Gedimino Prospektas)
- Bastion of the Vilnius Defensive Wall (Vilniaus Gynybines Sienos Basteja)
- Church of the Holy Spirit (Sventosios Dvasios Baznycia)