Schönbrunn Zoo (Tiergarten Schönbrunn)
General admission to Schönbrunn Zoo includes access to all exhibits, including daily zookeeper talks and feedings. Guided tours, night tours, and safari dinners are also available. Vienna PASS holders enjoy admission to the zoo and other city attractions, as well as a hop-on hop-off bus tour of Vienna. Combination tickets are also available, including entrance to the Palm House and Desert House, entrance to Schönbrunn Palace, or a ride on Vienna’s Giant Ferris Wheel (Wiener Riesenrad).
Things to Know Before You Go
Lines can be long, especially in peak season (July and August), so it’s best to book your tickets in advance.
On-site facilities include small storage lockers, gift shops, drinking fountains, and a range of restaurants and cafés.
The zoo is accessible for wheelchair users and those with limited mobility.
The Schönbrunn Panorama Train links the many attractions of Schönbrunn Park, including the zoo, the palace, and Gloriette Hill. Passes are valid all day.
How to Get there
Tiergarten Schönbrunn is located in Schönbrunn Park, and it’s a short walk from Schönbrunn Palace along signed trails. To get there from downtown Vienna, ride metro line U4 to Hietzing station. Trams 10, 58, 60, and 61 also run to the palace.
When to Get There
The zoo is open daily year-round. July and August are the busiest months, but it can get crowded on weekends and public holidays throughout the year, so make an early start to avoid lines. Most keeper talks and feedings only take place once a day, so be sure to check the schedule in advance if there is a particular animal you are most interested in.
Animal Sightings at the Schönbrunn Zoo
The zoo is home to about 8,500 animals, including tigers, jaguars, koalas, elephants, hippos, Siberian tigers, giraffes, a huge variety of birds, monkeys, reptiles, and insects. Watch orangutans in the ORANG.erie, observe polar bears swimming from Polar World’s underwater viewing area, and admire the Rainforest House, a living recreation of a tropical rainforest. The zoo also houses giant pandas, with the birth of cub twins Fu Feng and Fu Ban making headlines in 2016.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Desert House (Wüstenhaus)
- Imperial Carriage Museum
- Schönbrunn Palace (Schloss Schönbrunn)
- Vienna Technical Museum (Technisches Museum Wien)
- WestLicht Center for Photography
- Imperial Furniture Collection (Hofmobiliendepot)
- Schlosspark Schönbrunn (Schönbrunn Palace Garden)
- Haus des Meeres - Aqua Terra Zoo
- Schubert Sterbewohnung
- Third Man Museum (Dritte Mann Museum)
- Kunsthalle Wien Museumsquartier
- Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien (MUMOK)