Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz)
As the sole female ruler of the Habsburg Empire and one of the most revered of Austria’s royals, it seems only fitting that Empress Maria Theresa should have a public square named in her honor. One of the most impressive and important public spaces in Vienna, the square is included in many kick bike, bike, and minivan tours of Vienna along with other sights like the Vienna State Opera, St. Stephen's Cathedral, Hundertwasserhaus, and the Albertina.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Architecture buffs will especially appreciate the majesty of this vast neo-Renaissance square.
- The square is largely closed to traffic, so easy to visit with a wheelchair or stroller.
- Be sure to wear comfortable footwear and dress for the weather if taking in the square on foot or by bike.
How to Get There
The Maria Theresien Platz is located directly on the Ringstrasse between the Kunsthistorisches Museum (Museum of Fine Arts) and the Naturhistorisches Museum (Museum of Natural History). Take Metro U3 and U2 to the Volkstheater or Museumsquartier stations.
When to Get There
The square is entirely outdoors and best visited on a clear day to take in its gardens, fountains, and sculptures. During the Christmas season, it is home to a traditional open-air market that is among the most popular in the city.
Highlights of Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz) Laid out in the 19th century, Maria Theresien Platz centers around an enormous statue of Maria Theresa (often known as Sissi) by Kaspar Zumbusch, encircled by a series of formal gardens, dotted with monumental fountains and sculptures. The Kunsthistorisches Museum (Museum of Fine Arts) and the Naturhistorisches Museum (Museum of Natural History) bookend the square on both sides, with elegant neo-Renaissance facades that were created as part of the grand imperial Kaiserforum, the masterwork of German architect Gottfried Semper.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Hofburg Imperial Palace (Hofburg Wien)
- Historic Center of Vienna
- Schönbrunn Palace (Schloss Schönbrunn)
- Belvedere Palace (Schloss Belvedere)
- Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper)
- St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom)
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien (Museum of Fine Arts)
- Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz)