Got a day to get to know Tallinn? If so, you’ll have time to see the star attractions of Estonia’s 1,000-year-old capital and delve a little deeper into its history, culture, and off-the-radar sights. Here are our ideas for making the most of 24 hours in this lively city.
Tallinn Botanic Gardens (Tallinna Botaanikaaed)
Daily 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
Kloostrimetsa tee 52 11913, Tallinn
In addition to its highly-curated greenhouses, the Tallinn Botanic Garden also has a lovely arboretum that has been carefully landscaped as a park perfect for a shaded stroll. There is also the Garden of the Senses which invites guests to study the healing properties and use of edible plants. And don’t forget to visit the incredible rose garden. Home to roughly 700 varietals—some species dating back to the 15th century—the rose garden is a sight to behold when in bloom.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Tallinn Botanic Garden is an excellent place for a walk or a picnic.
- The greenhouses are situated along a 2.5-mile (4-kilometers) long trail, so where your walking shoes.
- You can book a guided tour or explore the garden on your own with an audio guide.
- Grab a bite to eat at the on-site cafe.
- Visitors can buy a discounted, combo ticket to visit the botanic garden and the adjacent TV Tower.
How to Get There
Tallinn Botanic Garden is approximately 6 miles (10 kilometers) away from Tallinn’s main city center. It is best reached by car (though the use of a map or GPS system is recommended), or by bus routes 34A and 38 from the Viru Keskus Shopping Center bus terminal. Take the Kloostrimetsa bus stop to arrive at your destination.
When to Get There
The garden is open every day, year round, though hours may vary in the winter months. To experience the rose garden in full bloom consider planning your visit during late spring or summer.
Old Town Tallinn Named a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Tallinn Old Town is the jewel of the city housing its art, culture, food, and history amongst its 13th-century cobblestone streets and Gothic-spired buildings.
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Tallinn TV Tower (Tallinna Teletorn)
- Kadriorg Park
- Kumu Art Museum (Kumu Kunstimuuseum)
- Kadriorg Palace
- Tallinn Song Festival Grounds (Lauluvӓljak)
- Tallinn Cruise Port (Tallinna Sadam)
- Seaplane Harbour (Lennusadam)
- Tallinn Old Town (Vanalinn)
- Tallinn Town Hall (Tallinna Raekoda)
- Tallinn Legends
- Freedom Square (Vabaduse väljak)
- Dome Church
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Toompea Castle (Toompea Loss)