Got a day to get to know Tallinn? If so, you’ll have time to see the star attractions of Estonia’s 1,000-year-old capital and delve a little deeper into its history, culture, and off-the-radar sights. Here are our ideas for making the most of 24 hours in this lively city.
Open ever day from 10am-12am
Vana Turg 1 10140, Tallinn
Based on a historical league of Germanic merchants that traveled and traded abroad, creating a powerful subculture during medieval times, Olde Hansa quite literally translates to “old German” or “old tribe.” The menu offerings include a forest mushroom soup, hearty game and meat dishes, such as wild boar or elk, and whimsical desserts. Catering more towards tourists (and the occasional local) the prices at Olde Hansa are comparable to other high-end dining establishments in the area, and it is definitely a worthwhile experience for history buffs and foodies.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Olde Hansa is an interactive dining experience with medieval-merchant storylines and live minstrel music.
- The restaurant has three floors and can accommodate 300 people.
- The restaurant has an adjoining gift shop that sells medieval ceramics, soaps, candles, honey beers, and other wares.
- Lighting inside the venue is very dim in order to recreate an accurate, medieval dining experience.
- Restaurant staff speak Russian, English, Finnish, and Estonian.
How to Get There
Olde Hansa is located in the center of town approximately a one-minute walk from the gothic Tallinn Town Hall and its Old Town Square. This area is easily traversed on foot.
When to Get There
The restaurant is open daily from 10am until midnight. It is highly encouraged to make reservations by calling ahead or going online.
Tallinn Old Town Locally known as Vannalin, Tallinn Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site complete with Gothic architecture, cobblestone streets, and a vibrant restaurant scene and nightlife.
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany