Stockholm Archipelago (Stockholms Skärgard) Tours
Read MoreShow Less
The Stockholm Archipelago (Stockholms Skärgård) is a trove of natural wonders, with miles of glittering ocean dotted with thousands of islands, rocky coves, and sandy beaches. Extending roughly 37 miles (60 kilometers) east of Stockholm, the vast archipelago offers ample opportunities for scenic cruises, day tours, and multi-day island-hopping tours.
The archipelago’s main towns—Nynashamn, Gustavsberg, and Vaxholm—can all be explored on a day trip from Stockholm. Guided boat cruises and passenger ferries run between the mainland and the islands, providing easy access. Treat yourself to spectacular views and soar overhead on a helicopter tour, set sail on a sunset sightseeing cruise, or glide around the beaches and bays on a kayaking excursion.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Pack sunscreen, insect repellent, and warm clothes if you’re setting out on an island-hopping cruise. At sea, even the summer air can get chilly.
- Wi-Fi and cell phone service can be unreliable, especially around the more remote islands.
- Most public transport options, including ferries, are wheelchair accessible. Facilities on the islands may vary.
How to Get There
While coastal towns like Vaxholm, Norrtälje, Nynäshamn, and Gustavsberg can be reached by bus or train, the most popular way to explore the archipelago is by boat. Ferries, guided cruises, and water taxis run year-round (weather permitting) from central Stockholm. You can reach the closest islands in about an hour, and the outer islands in several hours.
When to Get There
It’s possible to visit most islands year-round, but boat services may be limited during winter and can be canceled when the weather gets rough. April through September is the most popular time for island-hopping cruises, when the longer days and warmer weather are ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities.
Highlights of the Stockholm Archipelago
Head to Varmdo island for scenic coastal walks and forest hikes, discover the Viking history of Vaxholm on Bodesun Island, get hands-on experience at Gustavsberg’s porcelain museum, or explore the abandoned silver mine on Uto Island.
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Stockholm Archipelago (Stockholms Skärgard)
No results found!
Things to do near Stockholm
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Streymoy
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany