With a stream of new bars, restaurants and nightclubs springing up along the waterfront, the island of Södermalm, or ‘Söder’ as it’s known to locals, is quickly earning a reputation as one of Stockholm’s hippest districts, popular among the city’s younger residents. Entering Södermalm from Gamla Stan, the lively areas of Slussen and nearby Medborgarplatsen are the center of island life, interlinked by the principal shopping boulevard of Götgatan, and further south the affectionately nicknamed ‘SoFo’ district is know for its fashion boutiques, vintage stores and atmospheric cafés.
Although home to a cluster of museums, including the Stockholm City Museum, Södermalm has comparatively few tourist attractions and the scenic island is best known for its cliff-top lookouts and seafront promenades which offer dramatic views over the neighboring islands. Additional areas of interest include the charming coastal area of Fjällgatan, dotted with 16th-century wooden buildings, the 17th-century Katarina Kyrka church and the beaches of Tantolunden.
Sodermalm Tours and Activities
Should I book Sodermalm tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Sodermalm 2021?
What's the best way to experience Sodermalm?
- Stockholm City Segway Tour
- Stockholm City Kayak Tour
- Under the Bridges of Stockholm
- Private Stockholm Tour with a Local, Highlights & Hidden Gems 100% Personalised
Things to do near Stockholm
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Streymoy
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany