Tsarskoe Selo State Museum and Heritage Site
It’s possible to see Catherine Palace and Park in as little as half a day; you can even visit three imperial palaces (Peterhof, Catherine, and Pavlovsk) on a day trip. Some Pushkin tours stop by the Tsarskoselskaya Amber Workshop, responsible for restoring Catherine Palace’s impressive Amber Room.
Things to Know Before You Go
Book your ticket to Catherine Palace in advance to skip the line and enjoy more time inside.
Many attractions in Pushkin—including Catherine Palace—are accessible to wheelchairs.
How to Get There
Pushkin is about 16 miles (25 kilometers) south of St. Petersburg. Trains run regularly between Vitebskiy Station in St. Petersburg and Detskoe Selo Station in Pushkin, though it’s also common to visit as part of a tour with included transport.
When to Get There
Pushkin’s main attractions are typically open daily year-round, with extended hours from June to August. During the summer months, get there early to beat the crowds. Catherine Palace is closed on Tuesdays.
What’s in a Name
The town of Pushkin—originally Tsarskoye Selo—was named after Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin, one of Russia’s greatest poets and the founder of modern Russian literature. While born in Moscow, the poet spent several summers studying in Tsarskoye Selo. Learn more about him at the Pushkin Memorial Dacha Museum inside his former home.
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Pavlovsk Palace (Pavlovskiy Dvorets)
- Grand Maket Russia
- Planet Neptune Oceanarium
- Alexander Nevsky Lavra Monastery
- Senate Square (Senatskaya Ploshchad)
- Dostoevsky Museum
- St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral (St. Nicholas Cathedral of the Epiphany)
- Mariinsky Theatre
- Monument to Catherine II (Pamyatnik Ekaterina II)
- Alexandrinsky Theatre
- Constantine Palace
- Anichkov Palace
- Nevsky Prospekt
- Central Naval Museum