Peter and Paul Cathedral (Petropavlovskiy Sobor)
The oldest cathedral in St. Petersburg and among the tallest orthodox cathedrals on the planet, the baroque Peter and Paul Cathedral sits on the grounds of Peter and Paul Fortress. The building is home to the St. Petersburg Men’s Choir and serves as the final resting place for many of Russia’s pre-revolutionary rulers.
Just about every sightseeing tour of St. Petersburg includes a stop at Peter and Paul Fortress, home to the cathedral of the same name. Many visitors come to see the graves of Russia’s Romanov rulers; you’ll find Peter the Great’s grave right near the front, often adorned with fresh flowers. Visitors can choose between a single entrance ticket to the Peter and Paul Fortress, or a multi-attraction ticket that grants entrance to several St. Petersburg attractions, including St. Isaac’s Cathedral, State Museum, Faberge Museum, and Stroganov Palace.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Peter and Paul Cathedral is a must-see for spiritual travelers and first-time visitors.
- Admission to the cathedral is included with a ticket to the Peter and Paul Fortress.
- The cathedral is fully wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
To get to the cathedral by public transportation, take the metro to Gorkovskaya or Sportivnaya Stations.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open daily throughout the year, but it’s best to visit between May and October when the spire of the bell tower is open to visitors. Another good time to visit is on a Monday or Friday evening when the men's choir is performing.
Peter and Paul Fortress
Peter and Paul Fortress represents the oldest part of St. Petersburg, built in 1703. The military complex served as a line of defense in the Great Northern War against Sweden, and later as a political prison under the tsars.
- State Hermitage Museum Tours & Tickets
- St. Petersburg Palace Square (Dvortsovaya Ploshchad) Tours & Tickets
- Catherine Palace and Park Tours & Tickets
- Tsarskoe Selo State Museum and Heritage Site Tours & Tickets
- St. Petersburg Cruise Port Tours & Tickets
- Peter and Paul Cathedral (Petropavlovskiy Sobor) Tours & Tickets
- Peter and Paul Fortress (Petropavlovskaya Krepost) Tours & Tickets