Coffee Pot Bayou
Located between the Historic Old Northeast district and Snell Isle, Coffee Pot Bayou is one of the oldest neighborhoods in St. Petersburg. An upscale, residential area, it’s also known for the many wildlife species that can be found in the waters of the bayou and surrounding areas, including manatees, dolphins, and birds.
A wide, well-maintained sidewalk path runs along the west side of the bayou, and is a favorite with walkers, joggers, bikers, and fishermen. It’s part of the 2-mile (3.2-kilometer) scenic path that stretches to Downtown St. Petersburg, North Shore Park, and Vinoy Park. A small park offers a fenced-in playground and boat ramp. The scenic Snell Island Bridge connects the area to Snell Isle. For many visitors, the highlight is spotting wildlife in the area. Besides manatees and dolphins, the area is also home to many species of birds, including herons, egrets, gulls, osprey, and pelicans.
Things to know before you go
- The neighborhood is residential, so there are limited services available.
- Bring binoculars to help with wildlife spotting.
- Much of the area, including the waterfront path, is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to get there
Located northeast of downtown St. Petersburg, Coffee Pot Bayou is a few blocks east of US-92. There’s a parking lot at Coffee Pot Park and street parking is also available. A number of buses stop near the area, including bus #18 and #38.
When to get there
Coffee Pot Bayou can be visited year-round. Manatees are common to the bayou most of the year, but are more commonly sighted in the winter months. In the spring, look for manatees courting and rolling around in the shallow waters.
The Coffee Pot Bayou waterfront path continues south towards downtown St. Petersburg, and passes by several popular attractions: the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum, with more than 500 palms and cycads from around the world; North Shore Park, with a beach and the North Shore Aquatics Complex; and Vinoy Park, with its open green spaces, scenic views, and recreation trails.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Clearwater
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in St Augustine
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in Georgia