Sibiu Orthodox Cathedral (Holy Trinity Cathedral)
Sibiu’s Orthodox Cathedral, also known as the Holy Trinity Cathedral, is a functioning place of worship as well as an important tourist site. Walking tours of Sibiu will typically stop at the Orthodox Cathedral as well as other local landmarks such as Sibiu Lutheran Cathedral (St. Mary's Evangelical Church), Bridge of Lies (Podul Minciunilor), and the defensive towers of Sibiu’s medieval wall. Some multi-day tours of Transylvania stop at the cathedral while in Sibiu as well as taking participants other famous attractions in the region such as Peles Castle in Sinaia and Bran Castle (also known as Dracula’s Castle).
Things to know before you go
- Sibiu’s Orthodox Cathedral is a must for art lovers and architecture fans.
- The cathedral is wheelchair-accessible.
- The cathedral is still a functioning church so be respectful and quiet around worshippers.
- There is a souvenir shop in the cathedral.
How to get there
The Orthodox Cathedral is situated near the city center. Sibiu is a compact city and the best way to get to the cathedral is by walking; strolling from Big Square (Piața Mare) will take just five minutes.
When to get there
The cathedral is open daily. Though it’s situated in a bustling central neighborhood, it is usually quite peaceful, and makes an excellent spot for contemplation. During summer, the cathedral attracts more tourists, while in winter, you’re more likely to encounter locals during their morning devotions.
Other Religious Sights in Sibiu
Though the Orthodox Cathedral is among Sibiu’s largest and most extravagant churches, there are other religious structures in the city that are equally dazzling. The 18th-century baroque-style Roman Catholic Cathedral is adorned with vivid paintings and embossed with gold, while the St. Ursuline Church (Biserica Ursulinelor)—also Roman Catholic—boasts a sumptuous baroque decor. The most well-known church in Sibiu is the Gothic-style Sibiu Lutheran Cathedral (St. Mary's Evangelical Church), which features centuries-old tombs and a 6,000-pipe organ.
- Things to do in Transylvania
- Things to do in Sighisoara
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Brasov
- Things to do in Otopeni
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Timisoara
- Things to do in Iasi
- Things to do in Sofia
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Wallachia
- Things to do in Western Romania