Vatican Gardens (Giardini Vaticani)
These lovely grounds are closed to the general public and can only be visited as part of a guided tour. Join an official small-group tour to enter the gardens through the Vatican Museums (Musei Vaticani). Or, book a skip-the-line private tour that includes a walking tour of the Vatican Gardens to avoid the long lines. Vatican Gardens tours generally also include visits to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica, home to Michelangelo's Pieta.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rome
Things to Know Before You Go
Vatican Gardens tours are especially interesting for avid gardeners.
Picking plants and flowers from the garden is strictly forbidden.
There is a security check at the entrance to the museums, so items like pocket knives, corkscrews, and umbrellas must be left at the coat check.
If your Vatican tour includes entrance to the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica, be sure to wear clothing that covers your shoulders and knees.
The Vatican Gardens are not wheelchair accessible and tours generally require quite a bit of walking, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
How to Get There
The Vatican Gardens are accessed through the Vatican Museums on Viale Vaticano in Vatican City. The closest metro station is Ottaviano on line A.
When to Get There
The gardens are most crowded at midday, so opt for a morning tour if you prefer a quieter experience. Spring and fall are considered the most beautiful seasons to view the gardens.
Vatican Gardens Highlights
In the 16th century, Pope Julius II commissioned Donato Bramante to rework the area into a Renaissance design; the architect installed a giant labyrinth, introduced Lebanese cedars, and built a fortified stone wall that’s still standing. In 1902, the Lourdes Grotto, a replica of the miraculous cave in France, was added.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Paciotti Salumeria
- Vatican City (Citta del Vaticano)
- Vatican Grottoes (Grotte Vaticane)
- Vatican Museums (Musei Vaticani)
- La Pietà
- Sistine Chapel (Cappella Sistina)
- St. Peter's Dome (Cupola di San Pietro)
- St. Peter's Baldachin (Baldacchino di San Pietro)
- St. Peter's Basilica (Basilica di San Pietro)
- Raphael's Rooms (Stanze di Raffaello)
- Vatican Obelisk (Obelisco Vaticano)
- St. Peter's Square (Piazza San Pietro)
- Leonardo Da Vinci Experience Museum (Museo Leonardo Da Vinci Experience)
- Via Cola di Rienzo
- Castel Sant'Angelo National Museum (Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo)