Arc de Triomphe
The Arc de Triomphe is one of Paris’ most visited monuments. Many travelers admire the famous landmark only from ground level, either independently or as part of a sightseeing tour. However, it’s well worth climbing to the arch’s viewing terrace at 164 feet (50 meters) to enjoy sweeping views of the city and its top sights, including Sacré-Coeur, the Eiffel Tower, the Grande Arche de la Defense, and the tree-bordered Champs-Elysees, which leads all the way down to the Louvre.
Recent reviews from experiences in Paris
Things to Know Before You Go
Use the pedestrian underpasses beneath Place Charles de Gaulle to reach the arch. Do not attempt to cross the roundabout—Paris’ busiest traffic circle—on foot.
The viewing terrace is not wheelchair accessible. An elevator goes part way up the arch, but visitors must still climb 46 steps to access the top.
Book skip-the-line tickets in advance to beat the crowds.
Be sure to bring a camera to capture the Parisian skyline.
How to Get There
The Arc de Triomphe is located on Place Charles de Gaulle at the top of the Champs-Elysees, about a 30-minute walk from Place de la Concorde at the famous avenue’s opposite end. Metro lines 1, 2, and 6, as well as the RER A line, all connect to Charles de Gaulle–Étoile, the nearest station.
When to Get There
Visibility is best during summer, when skies are most likely to be clear. The best views can be had at dusk, when the cream-stone cityscape appears to glow gold under the light of the setting sun. Sunset is, however, also the busiest time. To avoid the crowds, go earlier in the day.
See the Flame Lighting at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Time your Arc de Triomphe visit for 6:30pm to witness the lighting of the eternal flame at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The solemn ceremony takes place at the base of the monument, where an unidentified World War I soldier is buried.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Lido de Paris
- Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent Foundation
- Guimet Museum (Musée Guimet)
- Crazy Horse Cabaret
- Palais de Tokyo
- Avenue des Champs-Élysées
- Jacquemart-André Museum (Musee Jacquemart-Andre)
- Monceau Park (Parc Monceau)
- Pont de l'Alma (Alma Bridge)
- Architecture and Heritage City (Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine)
- Paris Aquarium (Aquarium de Paris)
- Palais de Chaillot
- National Marine Museum (Musee National de la Marine)
- Paris Sewer Museum (Musée des Égouts de Paris)
- Nissim Camondo Museum (Musée Nissim De Camondo)