Oslo Opera House (Operahuset)
Norway’s stylish, innovative new arts center opened in 2008 at Bjørvika, with views stretching out over Oslo Fjord. It is home to the national ballet, opera and orchestral companies but audiences probably come as much for the sublime waterside setting of this gleaming white auditorium as they do for the performances. Designed by Norwegian architect Tarald Lundevall, who also built the National September 11 Memorial Museum & Pavilion in New York, the opera house is constructed of marble, granite and glass and won the prestigious Mies van der Rohe Award for Contemporary Architecture in 2009. Inside there are three main stages, combined able to seat audiences of up to 2,000; all this is supported by a staff of 620 led by artistic director Tom Remlov in a labyrinth of more than 1,000 studios and workshops.
Acoustics are second to none and the repertoire includes modern dance and classical ballet, jazz, chamber and Baroque concerts, plus light-hearted operettas and serious opera. Open-air concerts are held on the opera house’s sloping roof in summer and there are sometimes small recitals in the foyer. The Argent restaurant is currently the place to lunch in Oslo.
Ways to experience Oslo Opera House (Operahuset)
Browse. Filter. Book.
What are Oslo Opera House (Operahuset) hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Oslo Opera House (Operahuset)?
- Oslo Discovery Tour: Holmenkollen, Vigeland Park, Fram and Viking Ship Museum
- City Sightseeing Oslo Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
- Shore Excursion: Oslo Highlights Tour with Viking Ship Museum and Vigeland Park
- Oslo Small Group Walking Tour
Things to do near Oslo
- Things to do in Gothenburg
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Bergen
- Things to do in Streymoy
- Things to do in Trondheim
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Malmö
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Central Norway
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern