Kon-Tiki Museum Tours and Activities
The Kon-Tiki Museum is home to a variety of boats and other artifacts from the famous Thor Heyerdahl’s expeditions. Thor Heyerdahl is a Norwegian expeditionary and ethnographer who famously sailed by raft from South America to the Tuamotu Islands. The museum includes the very raft used during that expedition.
The museum also houses permanent exhibits on Ra, Tigris, Kon-Tiki, Fatu-Hiva, and Easter Island and even has a cave tour (that is 100 feet/30 meters in length) and an underwater exhibition with a life-size whale shark. For those who are not well acquainted with Norway’s topographical landscape, there is a recommended widescreen film that takes the viewer on an aerial tour of the country’s coastline and settlements.
Once you’ve soaked in all the exhibits the museum has to offer, the restaurant offers a lunch menu which includes authentic Norwegian cuisine, including the highly recommend Kon-Tiki Fish Casserole and Tapas buffet.
The museum is located at Bygdøy near the Oslo city center, close to the Oslo Fjord, affording tourists a wonderful view of the bay.
The Kon-Tiki Museum also happens to be located near other museums on the Bygdoy Peninsula, such as the Fram Museum and the Norwegian Maritime Museum.
It is easily accessible by bus, which runs every 15 minutes. During the summer months you can also catch a ferry to the museum that departs from the harbor in front of the City Hall. There is also parking available on site.
6 Tours and Activities to Experience Kon-Tiki Museum
Frequently Asked Questions
- Kon-Tiki Museum Entrance Ticket
- Oslo Private Shore Excursion: Nydalen, Bygdoy Peninsula & Kon-Tiki museum
- Oslo Highlights and Kon-Tiki Museum By Walk & Public Transport
- Oslo Private Tour: Nydalen, river Akerselva, Bygdoy Peninsula & Kon-Tiki museum
Things to do near Oslo
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Streymoy
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany