North Myrtle Beach
In 1968, the communities of Cherry Grove, Windy Hill, Ocean Drive, and Crescent Beach were joined to form the city of North Myrtle Beach. Today, the community offers a more laid back alternative to Myrtle Beach, complete with high end resort accommodations and vacation rentals along the Intracoastal Waterway. During the summer months, the area is popular for its beach activities, including deep sea fishing, parasailing, and jet skiing. Visitors can also take sightseeing or dinner cruises along the Intracoastal Waterway or catch a live show at one of the venues along Main Street.
Things to Know Before You Go
- North Myrtle Beach offers a quiet alternative to Myrtle beach, perfect for couples or adult groups of friends.
- Be sure to pack mosquito repellent, especially if you plan to explore the marshes near the end of the Grand Strand.
- Don’t forget to bring a bathing suit, beach towel, and plenty of sunscreen; the beaches here offer little shade.
How to Get There
The closest airport is Myrtle Beach International, about 15 miles (24 km) south of North Myrtle Beach. The best way to get there (and get around) is by private car or rental vehicle. Taxis are available but expensive.
When to Get There
The best season for enjoying North Myrtle Beach’s sandy shores is between June and August (afternoon rain showers are common in July). For warm weather, cheaper rates, and fewer crowds, visit during the spring shoulder season (March to May).
Home of the Shag The Shag, South Carolina’s official state dance since 1984, was born in the community of North Myrtle Beach. Visitors who want to learn this regional dance should follow the sounds of live music along Ocean Drive, where locals come to dance nearly every night of the week.
- Barefoot Landing
- Carolina Opry
- Grand Strand
- Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach
- Hard Rock Cafe Myrtle Beach
- Broadway at the Beach
- WonderWorks Myrtle Beach
- Hollywood Wax Museum Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach SkyWheel
- Ripley's Haunted Adventure Laser Strike
- Ripley's Marvelous Mirror Maze
- Myrtle Waves Water Park
- Family Kingdom Amusement Park
- Medieval Times Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach State Park