Tretyakov Gallery (Tretyakovskaya Galereya)
The Tretyakov Gallery has more than 60 galleries, so visit the Tretyakov Gallery with a guide to ensure you don’t miss any of the highlights. Must-sees include Andrei Rublev’sHoly Trinity, Mikhail Vrubel’sDemon paintings, and Ilya Repin’sThe Volga Boatmen, as well as Russian icons and portraits of Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, and Turgenev. You can also visit the New Tretyakov Gallery, located nearby along Krymsky Val, which houses the museum’s collection of Russian contemporary art.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Tretyakov Gallery can get busy in peak season; pre-book your admission tickets to avoid waiting in line. Children under 18 enter for free.
The museum has information boards in English; audio guides are available in multiple languages.
Tretyakov is accessible to wheelchair users and strollers.
How to Get There
The Tretyakov Gallery is located along Lavrushinsky lane, on the south bank of the Moskva River. The closest metro stations are Tretyakovskaya (line 2), a 2-minute walk away, and Polyanka (line 9), a 10-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The gallery is open on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday from 10am-6pm, and Thursday through Saturday from 10am-9pm. Opt for a weekday visit to avoid the crowds and leave yourself plenty of time if arriving in the afternoon or evening—a 2-hour visit is the minimum to see it all.
Moscow for Art Lovers
After marvelling over the Russian masters at the Tretyakov Gallery, art lovers can head to the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts to see works by Rubens and Botticelli, or visit the Moscow Museum of Modern Art, where Picasso, Dali, and Miro take center stage. The city also has an impressive contemporary arts scene, with top destinations including the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art, the MARS Centre of Contemporary Art, and the Central House of Artists.
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Kharkiv
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kazan
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Volgograd
- Things to do in Southern Russia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Red October Chocolate Factory (Krasny Oktyabr)
- Assumption Cathedral (Dormition Cathedral)
- Diamond Fund (Almazny Fond)
- Kremlin Armoury (Armoury Chamber)
- Cathedral of the Archangel (Arkhangelsky Sobor)
- Cathedral Square
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior (Khram Khrista Spasitelya)
- Moscow Kremlin
- Pushkin Museum (Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts)
- Lenin's Mausoleum
- St. Basil’s Cathedral (Pokrovsky Sobor)
- Russian State Library (Rossiyskaya Gosudarstvennaya Biblioteka)
- Gorky Park (Park Gorkogo)
- State Historical Museum (Gosudarstvennyy Istoricheskiy Muzey)
- Kazan Cathedral (Kazansky Kafedralny Sobor)