St. Basil’s Cathedral (Pokrovsky Sobor)
Visit the nine main chapels that honor a major spiritual event in Russia—each beneath a vibrant-hued dome—as well as a separate tenth chapel added in 1588 over the grave of St. Basil. You can stroll between the interconnected galleries to view the more than 400 iconography paintings dating between the 14th and 19th centuries. The cathedral was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site—in conjunction with Moscow’s Kremlin and Red Square—in 1990.
Things to Know Before You Go
Last admittance into the cathedral is 45 minutes before closing.
There are two different tickets to tour St. Basil’s interior and its exterior.
Look out for temporary exhibitions in the galleries.
How to Get There
St. Basil’s is located next to the Kremlin, famously situated at the south end of Red Square. It's a 5-minute walk (about .4 miles, or a .6 kilometers) from the nearest metro station of Ploshchad Revolyutsii to the cathedral.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open May through October from midmorning to evening, with somewhat reduced hours November through April. Call or go online ahead of time to verify times as St. Basil’s sometimes closes for cleaning and when the temperature drops below 5°F (-15°С). The cathedral is closed every first Wednesday of the month.
Red Square (Krasnaya Ploshchad)
Red Square is Moscow's central square, and has been home to a thriving marketplace as well as a gathering place for various public ceremonies, proclamations, and coronations. While there, visit other important Russian landmarks in the area, including the Kremlin and GUM—a huge, glass-encased department store from the Soviet era.
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Kharkiv
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kazan
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Volgograd
- Things to do in Southern Russia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Lenin's Mausoleum
- Moscow Kremlin
- Cathedral Square
- Kazan Cathedral (Kazansky Kafedralny Sobor)
- Cathedral of the Archangel (Arkhangelsky Sobor)
- Diamond Fund (Almazny Fond)
- State Historical Museum (Gosudarstvennyy Istoricheskiy Muzey)
- GUM Department Store
- Assumption Cathedral (Dormition Cathedral)
- Revolution Square (Ploshchad Revolyutsii)
- Bolshoi Theatre
- Kremlin Armoury (Armoury Chamber)
- Alexander Garden (Alexandrovsky Sad)
- Russian State Library (Rossiyskaya Gosudarstvennaya Biblioteka)
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior (Khram Khrista Spasitelya)