Gorky Park (Park Gorkogo)
Local families flock to Moscow’s largest park on weekends to walk, cycle, and picnic amid the gardens and woodlands. Admire riverfront views as you stroll the trails; visit the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art or the sculptures in the Muzeon Park of Arts; or join friends for a game of tennis, volleyball, orpétanque. You’ll also find a boating lake, riverside beaches lined with cafés and lounge chairs, and a small amusement park for young kids.
Go on your own, or explore Gorky Park and other top Moscow attractions on a sightseeing tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Gorky Park is free and often hosts free events, activities, and sports classes.
The riverfront has plenty of seating, with free Wi-Fi and charging points available.
The park has several on-site cafés, restaurants, and food kiosks, most of which are situated along the river.
The park is fully accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Gorky Park is located in Moscow’s Yakimanka district, around 4 miles (7 kilometers) south of downtown. The main park entrance is along the Garden Ring (Sadovoye Koltso) road. The closest metro stations are Oktyabrskaya (line 5), about a 2-minute walk away, and Park Kultury (Circle line) on the other side of the Moskva River, around a 10-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The park is open 24/7, and there’s something going on year-round. Visit in summer to enjoy a film screening at the open-air cinema or take part in an alfresco yoga or aerobics class. In winter, dress warmly and head to the gigantic outdoor ice rink.
Moscow’s Parks and Gardens
Gorky Park is just one of many picturesque parks and gardens in Moscow. Escape the city crowds to go hiking, mountain biking, or cross-country skiing in Troparevsky Forest Park—or wander the magnificent gardens of the Tsaritsyno Palace, a former residence of Catherine the Great. Alternatively, tour the museums and monuments in the vast Victory Park, then pack a picnic and watch wildlife in Sokolniki Park.
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Kharkiv
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kazan
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Volgograd
- Things to do in Southern Russia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Garage Museum of Contemporary Art
- Red October Chocolate Factory (Krasny Oktyabr)
- Leo Tolstoy State Museum (Muzey L.N. Tolstogo)
- Tretyakov Gallery (Tretyakovskaya Galereya)
- Pushkin Museum (Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts)
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior (Khram Khrista Spasitelya)
- Kremlin Armoury (Armoury Chamber)
- A.S. Pushkin Memorial Apartment (Memorial'naya Kvartira A.S. Pushkina)
- Assumption Cathedral (Dormition Cathedral)
- Diamond Fund (Almazny Fond)
- Cathedral of the Archangel (Arkhangelsky Sobor)
- Red Square (Krasnaya Ploshchad)
- Russian State Library (Rossiyskaya Gosudarstvennaya Biblioteka)
- Cathedral Square
- Moscow Kremlin