Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom)
Named after the Slovene writer and political activist Ivan Cankar, the Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom) is Ljulbjana’s arts and cultural hub. Designed by postmodernist Slovene architect Edvard Ravnikar, this vast complex features several performance venues and hosts hundreds of annual events such as the Ljubljana Jazz Festival and the Ljubljana International Film Festival as well as numerous conferences and other cultural events.
The Cankar Centre hosts well-known artists and ensembles from all over the world in addition to local music, dance, and theatre events. The center has four main concert halls, each named after a famous Slovene artist. The center also has a small art and photography gallery featuring work by local artists, a large foyer where dances and book fairs are held, and conference rooms and reception halls for special events.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Slovenia’s largest convention center and main arts and culture venue.
- A must-see for dance, theatre, art, and film fans.
- Admission is free to the arts and photography gallery.
- All concert venues and display halls are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Cankar Centre is located at the southern end of Republic Square in the heart of Ljubljana, within walking distance of the city’s historic Old Town and the Ljubljana Castle. Buses run hourly from the Ljubljana Airport to downtown Ljubljana and Cankar Centre is easily accessible by foot, bike, taxi, or bus.
When to Get There
The Cankar Centre hosts concerts and events year-long so check the center’s event calendar prior to your visit. You’ll want to purchase tickets to major events like the Ljubljana International Film Festival ahead of time online. The box office is open weekday mornings and afternoons and an hour prior to each performance.
The Ljubljana International Film Festival
The Ljubljana International Film Festival is the biggest annual event held at the Cankar Centre. This two-week festival is typically held in November and features Slovene films as well as a selection of independent films from around the world and a short films competition. Purchase film tickets and multi-day passes in advance since film showings tend to sell out.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Museum of Illusions
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)
- Ljubljanica River
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- Dragon Bridge