Taksim Square (Taksim Meydani)
As a cultural and transportation center of the city, Taksim Square is always vibrating with energy. Abutted by Gezi Park, one of the few remaining green spaces in the center of Istanbul, Taksim Square sits at the head of Istiklal Avenue and serves as a gateway to the shops, restaurants, and bars that dot the area.
Most small-group and private tours explore the food and culture of the area and combine a visit to Taksim Square with a broader exploration of nearby neighborhoods, including Galata and Karakoy.
Recent reviews from experiences in Istanbul
Things to Know Before You Go
Taksim Square is a main meeting place and hub in Istanbul and can be crowded.
The area is a must-visit for people-watching and shopping.
Wear comfortable shoes, if you are planning on walking down Istiklal Avenue.
How to Get There
While Taksim Square itself is closed to vehicles, it is easily accessible by metro located right in the square. Taxis, buses, and shared cabs, called dolmus, all stop on the road that is adjacent to Taksim Square. There is a funicular from the seaside road that goes directly to Taksim Square.
When to Get There
Taksim Square is always open and active. The area gets very busy in the afternoon and into the evening, as people flock to the area for shopping, dining, and nightlife. In the morning, delivery cars are allowed on the otherwise pedestrian boulevard. Go early in the day to beat the crowds.
As one of Istanbul’s main gathering places, Taksim Square has a wealth of street food. Sample simit, a circular bagel-like pastry covered in sesame seeds. In the evening, men selling mussels stuffed with rice and spritzed with lemon dot the square. Wet burgers soaked and steamed in spicy tomato sauce are popular among Taksim Square’s late-night crowd.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Aga Turkish Bath (Aga Hamami)
- Madame Tussauds Istanbul
- Cicek Pasaji (Flower Passage)
- Galatasaray High School (Galatasaray Lisesi)
- Museum of Innocence (Masumiyet Müzesi)
- St. Anthony of Padua Church (Sent Antuan Bazilikasi)
- Military Museum and Cultural Center Command (Askeri Müze)
- Istiklal Street (Istiklal Caddesi)
- Pera Museum (Pera Müzesi)
- Dolmabahce Palace (Dolmabahce Sarayi)
- Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Istanbul Modern Sanat Müzesi)
- Galata Mevlevi Museum (Galata Mevlevihanesi Müzesi)
- Galata Tower (Galata Kulesi)
- Obelisk of Theodosius