Mihrimah Sultan Mosque (Mihrimah Sultan Camii)
The Mihrimah Sultan Mosque, with delicate touches of mother-of-pearl and abundant light, is located near the ancient Theodosian Walls, not far from the historic city center. The mosque was badly damaged in earthquakes in the 18th and 19th centuries, so much of what you see is reconstructed from the original design.
Private and small-group tours of Mihrimah Sultan Mosque often visit nearby historical sites, including the Chora Museum, the Byzantine Walls, and the remains of Jewish and Greek heritage in the Fener, Balat, and Edirnekapi neighborhoods.
Things to Know Before You Go
Mihrimah Sultan Mosque is a must-visit for architecture buffs.
The mosque is an active place of worship. Upon entrance, women are required to cover their heads and shoulders, and men to cover their knees.
Prayer times can affect the opening hours of the mosque.
Istanbul mosques usually provide scarves to cover yourself if you don’t have one.
How to Get There
Located in the Edirnekapi neighborhood, Mihrimah Sultan Mosque is accessible by bus from Eminönü or Taksim Square. The mosque is also walking distance from other Edirnekapi sights, such as the Chora Museum.
When to Get There
The Mihrimah Sultan Mosque is open all day, but it is closed to non-Muslims during prayer times, which are usually listed in front of the mosque. Friday prayer times are longer, so time your visit to avoid these if possible.
The Other Mihrimah Sultan Mosque
Across the water in the Asian-side neighborhood of Üsküdar is another Mihrimah Sultan Mosque, built by the same architect, Mimar Sinan. Supposedly, the sun and moon line up with the two mosques during the spring solstice. Legend has it that Mimar Sinan was in love with the princess Mihrimah Sultan and built the second mosque to show his devotion.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Kariye Museum (Kariye Müzesi)
- Fener District
- Panorama 1453 History Museum
- Rahmi M. Koc Museum (Rahmi M. Koç Müzesi)
- Aynalikavak Palace (Aynalikavak Kasri)
- Eyup Sultan Mosque
- Süleymaniye Mosque (Süleymaniye Camii)
- Pierre Loti Hill (Pierre Loti Tepesi)
- Church of St. Mary of the Spring (Balikli Kilise)
- Rustem Pasha Mosque (Rüstem Paşa Camii)
- Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Istanbul Modern Sanat Müzesi)
- Galata Tower (Galata Kulesi)