Galata Mevlevi Museum (Galata Mevlevihanesi Müzesi)
The Mevlevi monastery complex is well preserved, with a courtyard, tombs, fountain, and cemetery. Stop by for a relaxing stroll or to learn more about the Mevlevi order in Turkey at the museum in the monastery. Seeing the whirling dervishes perform their traditional ceremony is an unforgettable experience.
You can combine a visit to the Mevlevi Museum with a stop at the nearby Galata Tower. Explore the area on a group or private tour of the neighborhood to more deeply experience the history and food culture in Istanbul’s Karakoy and Beyoglu districts.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Galata Mevlevi Museum is a must-visit for Sufi enthusiasts and those interested in religion.
Make sure to reserve a whirling dervish performance ticket in advance to guarantee your spot.
In its early days the Turkish Republic banned dervish orders, but today watching whirling dervishes is a popular activity for visitors.
A whirling dervish performance is a religious ceremony, so respect and quiet are expected.
How to Get There
The Mevlevi lodge is very close to Galata Tower. It’s a short walk downhill from the Tunel funicular and the Sishane metro, or uphill from the Karakoy and Tophane tram stops and the Karakoy ferry. Hire a taxi for the most convenience.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9am to 5pm October to mid-April, and to 7pm mid-April through September. Whirling dervish performances are usually at 5pm on Sundays. Turkish and Muslim holidays can affect opening hours, so confirm ahead of your visit.
Dervishes in Turkey
Dervish orders exist throughout Turkey, but the city of Konya in Central Anatolia—the home of poet and Sufi master Celaleddin Rumi—is the center of whirling dervish orders and Sufism in Turkey. Meanwhile, the Mevlevi Monastery in Galata is the oldest in Istanbul and centrally located, making it an ideal place to witness this religious ritual.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Galata Tower (Galata Kulesi)
- Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Istanbul Modern Sanat Müzesi)
- Istiklal Street (Istiklal Caddesi)
- Museum of Innocence (Masumiyet Müzesi)
- Pera Museum (Pera Müzesi)
- St. Anthony of Padua Church (Sent Antuan Bazilikasi)
- Galatasaray High School (Galatasaray Lisesi)
- Cicek Pasaji (Flower Passage)
- Aga Turkish Bath (Aga Hamami)
- Madame Tussauds Istanbul
- Eminonu Pier (Eminönü Iskelesi)
- Eminӧnü Square (Eminönü Meydani)
- Rustem Pasha Mosque (Rüstem Paşa Camii)
- New Mosque (Yeni Cami)
- Spice Bazaar (Misir Carsisi)