Kadikoy Market (Kallavi Kadiköy)
Located in the heart of the lively Kadikoy neighborhood, Kadikoy Market kicks into gear early in the morning and stays busy through the evening. This is the place where locals come to buy seafood, seasonal fruit, freshly baked bread, and a wide range of ultra-fresh food. Food-themed walking tours combine a culinary exploration of the market with tastings of various Turkish delicacies at local places around the Karakoy and Galata neighborhoods.
Things to Know Before You Go
Kadikoy Market is a must-visit for foodies and market enthusiasts.
Wear shoes with grip, as the streets are often slick with water due to the fishmongers.
Browse fruit stands and the shops that line the market street for local delicacies.
Most produce is sold by weight.
How to Get There
The market is located in the heart of Kadikoy, on Istanbul’s Asian side. It’s easily accessible from the European side of the city by ferry, from which it’s a short walk to the market. You can take a taxi to the end of the street, but the market itself is open only to pedestrians.
When to Get There
The Kadikoy Market is open from early in the morning into the evening. Individual shops and stands keep their own hours, but all are open by midday; market restaurants are open later into the night. Arrive in the morning to beat the crowds. On weekends, expect to share space with many Istanbul residents doing their weekly grocery shopping.
How to Haggle
While haggling is less common at established shops, market vendors are often willing to negotiate prices. At Kadikoy Market, keep your expectations reasonable. It’s unlikely the price of fruits, vegetables, or fish will come down significantly, but you still can haggle for a deal if you are going to purchase many items. It’s always worth asking.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Haydarpasa Railway Station (Haydarpasa Gari)
- Golden Horn (Haliç)
- Camlica Hill (Camlica Tepesi)
- Topkapi Palace (Topkapi Sarayi)
- Hagia Irene (Aya Irini)
- Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya)
- Great Palace Mosaic Museum
- Istanbul Archaeological Museums (Istanbul Arkeoloji Muzeleri)
- Arasta Bazaar
- Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii)
- Hippodrome (Sultanahmet Meydani)
- Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayi)
- Sultanahmet District
- Gülhane Park (Gülhane Parki)
- Serpent Column (Yilani Sütun)