Beylerbeyi Palace (Beylerbeyi Sarayi)
Though more restrained than the elaborate Dolmabahce Palace, Beylerbeyi Palace is still a luxurious Ottoman residence. The palace has neo-baroque architecture, crystal chandeliers, and a large marble pool. Sultan Abdulhamid II carved some of the palace furniture when he was imprisoned here until the end of his life.
Some Istanbul sightseeing tours combine Beylerbeyi Palace with a visit to Dolmabahce Palace and sights on the Asian side of Istanbul, including Camlica Hill. Join a Bosphorus cruise and easily spot the palace from the water.
Things to Know Before You Go
Beylerbeyi Palace is a must-visit for Ottoman history and architecture buffs.
Wear comfortable shoes for walking around the palace.
The palace has a garden café, where you can enjoy a glass of Turkish tea.
How to Get There
Beylerbeyi Palace is located in the eponymous neighborhood and is accessible by public bus and shared cabs (dolmus). It’s easiest to reach by taxi from the Uskudar or Kadikoy district, on the city’s Asian side. Some Bosphorus cruises also stop at the palace.
When to Get There
Beylerbeyi Palace is open Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday through Sunday from 9am to late afternoon; it has shorter hours November through March. Major national and religious Turkish holidays can affect opening hours. Arrive early in the morning to beat the crowds in the palace and at the attached tea garden; both can get busy in the afternoon.
Beylerbeyi Palace is perched on the Bosphorus Strait and has a nautical theme that runs through the decorations inside, thanks to the passion Sultan Abdulaziz had for the sea. Paintings on the wall and designs on the ceiling depict water-and-ship-themed images, and the palace is dotted with fountains and pools.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Bosphorus Bridge (Bogazici Koprusu)
- Yildiz Palace Museum (Yildiz Sarayi Müzesi)
- Camlica Hill (Camlica Tepesi)
- Dolmabahce Palace (Dolmabahce Sarayi)
- Military Museum and Cultural Center Command (Askeri Müze)
- Taksim Square (Taksim Meydani)
- Maiden’s Tower (Kiz Kulesi)
- Aga Turkish Bath (Aga Hamami)
- Küçüksu Palace (Küçüksu Kasri)
- Madame Tussauds Istanbul
- Museum of Innocence (Masumiyet Müzesi)
- Haydarpasa Railway Station (Haydarpasa Gari)
- Galatasaray High School (Galatasaray Lisesi)
- Cicek Pasaji (Flower Passage)