Whether you’re making a pit stop in the Highlands’ capital before heading out on a hiking expedition or spending a leisurely weekend in the UK’s northernmost city, Inverness is the perfect gateway to the Scottish Highlands. Here are a few ideas for spending 3 days in the city.
Nessie, the creature supposedly inhabiting Scotland’s mysterious Loch Ness, is undoubtedly one of the most well-known monsters in the world. Sightings started popping up in the late 19th century and ever since, Nessie has held the world’s attention and the myth has refused to die. Visitors wishing to learn more about the legends surrounding Loch Ness can do so at Nessieland castle monster centre in Drumnadrochit. While this miniature theme park is aimed at children, it offers plenty of educational displays. There are lots of newspaper clippings reporting sightings, grainy photographs and display panels explaining the mystery of the Loch Ness Monster.
A multilingual documentary takes visitors on the hunt for Nessie and not only shows eyewitness accounts, but also underwater searches that have been taking place since the 1970s. Whether you end up being a believer or not, Nessieland offers a lot of fun. Kids especially enjoy the supposedly life-sized Nessie model that can be ridden, the large adventure playground and the caves. Of course, there is also a gift shop where the corresponding Nessie memorabilia can be purchased.
9am to 5pm in winter and from 9am to 7pm in summer.
Nessieland Drumnadrochit, Inverness-Shire, United Kingdom
Nessieland is located on the shores of Loch Ness in Drumnadrochit, about 23 kilometers west of Inverness. To get there from Inverness, simply take the A82 all the way there. The daily opening hours are from 9am to 5pm in winter and from 9am to 7pm in summer.
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in North East England
- Loch Ness Centre and Exhibition
- Urquhart Castle (Caisteal na Sròine)
- Loch Ness
- Whin Park
- Inverness Botanic Gardens (Floral Hall)
- Tomnahurich (Fairy Hill)
- Glen Ord Distillery
- Eden Court Theatre and Cinema
- River Ness (Abhainn Nis)
- Inverness Castle
- Old High Church (Old High St. Stephen’s)
- Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
- Fort Augustus
- Caledonian Canal
- Culloden Battlefield