National Museum of Finland (Suomen Kansallismuseo)
See church relics, cultural exhibitions, ceiling frescoes, and jewelry during a visit to the National Museum of Finland. The museum is broken up into a series of rooms with a specific theme, such as the Treasure Trove that displays coins, silver, weaponry, and medals and an exhibition of the prehistory of Finland including archaeological finds. The museum is a popular stop during tours in Helsinki including walking tours, sightseeing tours, and the hop-on hop-off bus.
Things to know before you go
- The National Museum of Finland is a must-see attraction for families seeking educational opportunities and history buffs.
- In addition to the permanent collection, the museum also hosts temporary exhibitions and pop-up exhibits featuring everything from photography to glass sculptures.
- The museum is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers. Guide dogs are welcome.
- Several guided tours are available including tours for children, such as a treasure hunt-themed tour.
How to get there
The National Museum of Finland is located at Mannerheimintie 34 in Helsinki. It is a 10-minute walk from the central railway station and the bus terminal at Kamppi. The museum can be easily reached via public transportation; take tram 7A/7B, 4T, or 10.
When to get there
The museum is open daily from May through August, and closed on Mondays from September through April. Free admission is available on Friday evenings. The most popular time of year to visit Helsinki is during the summer months; plan a visit during the spring or fall shoulder season to miss the crowds.
What to See at the Museum
Plan ahead to choose what areas of the museum are of particular interest to you. “A Land and its People” features life in Finland before industrialization. “The Realm” explores the history of Finland from the 13th to 17th centuries when it was under Swedish rule. For more modern history, check out Suomi Finland 1900, which is focused on the 20th century.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Finlandia Hall (Finlandiatalo)
- Helsinki Music Centre (Musiikkitalo)
- Parliament House of Finland (Eduskuntatalo)
- Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma
- Rock Church (Temppeliaukio Kirkko)
- Amos Rex
- HAM Helsinki Art Museum
- Tennis Palace (Tennispalatsi)
- Helsinki Central Station
- Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
- Helsinki Swedish Theatre
- Port of Helsinki
- Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko)
- Helsinki Senate Square (Senaatintori)
- Café Ursula