In 1960, the Beatles came to Hamburg and started performing in St. Pauli clubs and bars. Soon they became one of the biggest bands in the world. Here are a few places to explore Hamburg’s rock ‘n’ roll history and follow in the Fab Four’s footsteps.
Glockengiesserwall 1, Hamburg, 20095
Explore the Hamburger Kunsthalle independently or join a guided tour. Tours vary depending on the day and can focus on a range of themes. The permanent collection is broken down into categories such as Old Masters, Nineteenth Century, and Prints and Drawings. Contemporary art since 1945 is hosted in the modern Galleries der Gegenwart building. The Hamburger Kunsthalle is a stop on the hop-on, hop-off bus and participates in the City Pass and Hamburg Card programs.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Hamburger Kunsthalle is a must-see attraction for art enthusiasts and families seeking educational opportunities.
- The museum is accessible for wheelchairs.
- Several multimedia guides are available, including one specifically designed for kids.
- The museum is also home to a cafe and restaurant, shop, and library with a collection of graphic art.
How to Get There
The Hamburger Kunsthalle is located near Central Station on the rink bank of the Binnenalster Lake. The address is Glockengiesserwall 1. The museum is accessible by public transportation; take the U-Bahn or S-Bahn to Hauptbahnhof or the 112 bus to Hamburger Kunsthalle. Parking is available in an underground parking garage.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday and offers extended evening hours on Thursdays. If possible, visit on a weekday as opposed to avoid most of the crowds. Travelers seeking a quiet experience may want to visit first thing in the morning. The most popular time of year to travel to Hamburg is during the summer months.
In addition to the permanent collection, this museum has exhibited a range of temporary shows. Some examples include the drawings of Leonardo da Vinci, a retrospective of Anita Ree’s work, and an exhibit focused on the trends of contemporary graphic art.
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- St. Peter's Church
- Hamburg Old Town (Hamburg Altstadt)
- Hamburg City Hall (Rathaus)
- St. Nikolai Memorial
- Warehouse District (Speicherstadt)
- Planten und Blomen Park
- Hamburg Dungeon
- Outer Alster Lake (Aussenalster)
- Miniatur Wunderland
- Speicherstadt Coffee Roastery (Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei)
- Warehouse District Museum (Speicherstadtmuseum)
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)