Hamburg Fish Market (Altonaer Fischmarkt)
This unusual port of Hamburg attraction, dating back to 1703, is chock-full of wonderful things to see and do. Wander through the fish auction hall, where vendors sell all types of seafood, or make like most other visitors and come for the sausages, beer, and live music. Visit independently or include the market on any private tour you arrange in Hamburg.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Hamburg Fish Market is a must-visit for foodies.
Admission to the market is free.
Be sure to try the fish sandwich (fischbrötchen), a popular fish market snack.
The market is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Hamburg Fish Market is located on the Hamburg riverbank in Altona-Altstadt, close to Reeperbahn. Take the U3 to Landungsbrücken or the S1 and S3 to Reeperbahn. If you’re already in the Reeperbahn area, you can walk to the market in roughly 20 minutes.
When to Get There
The market is open from 5am to 9:30am March 15 to November 14, and 7am to 9:30am November 15 to March 14, rain or shine. Arrive early for the best, freshest choices. Peak season in Germany tends to be during July and August, so consider a shoulder-season visit for smaller crowds.
Things to Do in Reeperbahn
Hamburg Fish Market is close to Reeperbahn, which is known for being the must-see entertainment district and nightlife mile in Hamburg’s St. Pauli quarter. Reeperbahn highlights include the Stage Operettenhaus theater as well as the Indra Club and the Kaiserkeller, live music venues where the Beatles once played. Another interesting place to visit is the Panoptikum, Germany’s oldest wax museum.
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- Grosse Freiheit 36
- Reeperbahn & St Pauli District
- Old Elbe Tunnel (Alter Elbtunnel)
- Rickmer Rickmers
- St. Pauli Piers
- Port of Hamburg
- Museum for Hamburg History
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)
- Warehouse District Museum (Speicherstadtmuseum)
- Speicherstadt Coffee Roastery (Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei)
- Miniatur Wunderland