The Mint Museum Randolph is located inside the original US Mint building. Explore its collection of Native American Art, Art of the Ancient Americas, European Art, Decorative Art, and Fashion Art. At the Mint Museum Uptown, explore its collection of Modern and Contemporary Art and American Art. Don’t miss the world-renowned Craft + Design Collection, a special collection of jewelry, studio glass, fiber, furniture, clay, and wood art. Both branches of the museum also hold several temporary exhibits throughout the year.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Admission is good for both branches of the Mint Museum for two consecutive days.
- Photos are allowed, but selfie sticks, tripods, and the use of a flash are not.
- Both locations offer a gift shop. There is also a restaurant on-site at Mint Museum Uptown.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible.
- Free Wi-Fi is available at both locations.
How to Get There
Mint Museum Randolph is located on Randolph Road in the Eastover neighborhood. Free parking is available on-site. The Mint Museum Uptown is located on South Tryon Street, in Charlotte’s city center. The Mint Museum Uptown provides parking validation for certain paid lots nearby. It’s also accessible by the LYNX Blue Line and Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS).
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesdays to Sundays, with extended hours on Wednesdays and Fridays. Both branches offer free admission on Wednesday nights. Free tours are given every third Thursday of the month at lunchtime. Allow yourself around two to three hours to fully explore each museum branch.
Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
Art fans, particularly fans of modern art, should include a stop at the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art. Located near Mint Museum Uptown, the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art showcases more than 1,400 works of modern art, including paintings, sculptures, drawings, tapestries, wood carvings, and more. The museum also hosts numerous special events throughout the year.
- Freedom Park
- Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary
- Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts & Culture
- The Green
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Levine Center for the Arts
- Discovery Place Nature (Charlotte Nature Museum)
- Discovery Place Science
- Carolinas Aviation Museum
- Old Settlers’ Cemetery
- Fourth Ward
- Bank of America Stadium
- Historic Rosedale Plantation
- Independence Square
- UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens