Enjoy the many walking and biking trails and paths. Sports enthusiasts can take advantage of the baseball fields, batting cages, basketball courts, volleyball courts, and tennis fields. Anglers can fish for bass, catfish, and bluegill in the lake. Kids can enjoy two playgrounds, and an NFL Play 60 KidZone. Bring a picnic to enjoy on the lawn, or grill your own food at one of the outdoor shelters with grills. Concession stands are also available. During the summer, enjoy free films and live music at the bandshell.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The outdoor shelters with grills can be reserved in advance.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes as most of the park is closed to cars.
- Dogs are allowed in the park.
- The park is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Freedom Park is located about 3 miles south of Charlotte’s uptown. Parking lots can be found at the northern and southern end of the park. The park is connected to the Little Sugar Greenway, which leads all the way to Uptown. Local bus no. 6 also stops nearby.
When to Get There
The park can be enjoyed year-round. It can get busy after school and on weekends for youth sporting events. Free films and concerts in the summer are also popular events, as is the 5-day Festival in the Park every September.
The Freedom Park Demonstration Garden is located near the Mahlon Adams Pavilion. The mature garden includes garden beds in the sun and shade. Visitors can expect to see sedums, chrysanthemums, rosemary, coneflower, hydrangea, and more. The plants are well-tagged and Master Gardeners are on hand to answer questions. The garden also holds educational programs for children from time to time.
- Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary
- Mint Museum of Art
- Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts & Culture
- The Green
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Levine Center for the Arts
- Bank of America Stadium
- Old Settlers’ Cemetery
- Discovery Place Nature (Charlotte Nature Museum)
- Discovery Place Science
- Carolinas Aviation Museum
- Fourth Ward
- Historic Rosedale Plantation
- Independence Square