Gemälde Gallery (Gemaeldegalerie)
The artworks hanging in the Gemälde Gallery are arranged in chronological order stretching as far back as the Middle Ages. Pieces are spread across 72 main galleries and small side rooms, which are divided by epoch, art genre, and school.
Holders of a Berlin WelcomeCard receive free entry to the Gemälde Gallery along with free or discounted access to 200 other attractions in the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Gemälde Gallery is a must for lovers of European art, particularly Rembrandt fans.
Visitors generally spend 2.5 hours discovering the gallery’s thousands of paintings.
There are a museum shop and café on the ground floor.
Guided tours of the art gallery are offered by prior arrangement only.
Audio guides in English and German are included in the admission price.
The entire gallery is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The Gemälde Gallery is located in Berlin’s modern-style Kulturforum, adjacent to Potsdamer Platz. You can take the U2 underground line or the S1, S2, or S25 overground lines to Potsdamer Platz station. Alternatively, take city bus M48 or M85 directly to the Kulturforum.
When to Get There
The museum is open from 10am to 6pm Tuesday through Friday with extended hours to 8pm on Thursday, and 11am to 6pm on weekends. Come in the early morning for a less crowded experience. Berlin is a popular place to visit for city breaks, especially in spring and summer.
The Rembrandt Collection
The Gemälde is filled to the brim with notable European artworks, with one of the most notable collections being the 16 pieces done by Dutch Renaissance painter Rembrandt. Significant paintings includeMoses with the Ten Commandments,Jacob Wrestling with the Angel, andThe Man with the Golden Helmet—a piece that was long considered to be one of Rembrandt’s masterpieces but is now believed to be done by an artist from his circle.
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Museum of Decorative Arts (Kunstgewerbemuseum)
- Art Library (Kunstbibliothek)
- New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie)
- German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst
- MACHmit! Museum for Children (Kindermuseum MachtMit)
- Berlin Philharmonic Hall (Berliner Philharmonie)
- Potsdamer Platz
- Berlin Musical Instrument Museum (Musikinstrumenten-Museum)
- Legoland Discovery Centre Berlin
- Wintergarten Berlin
- Schwules Museum (Gay Museum)
- GDR Watch Tower (DDR-Wachturm)
- Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design (Bauhaus-Archiv Museum für Gestaltung)