Antwerp Zoo (Dierentuin)
Regardless of the chilly weather, you can see 80 percent of the inhabitants of Antwerp Zoo year-round thanks to specially-designed enclosures. Highlights of the zoo include the Valley of the Great Apes, home to gorillas and chimpanzees; the Skywalk, from which you can soak up panoramic views of the historic garden; the aquarium, which a floor-to-ceiling observation window; and the Flemish Garden, home to two koala bears. For discounted rates to both attractions, opt for a combo ticket that covers both the zoo and the Aquatopia aquarium.
Things to know before you go
- It's likely that a visit to the zoo will involve lots of walking, so ensure that you’re wearing comfortable shoes and sunscreen during the summers.
- You can choose between three self-service restaurants on the grounds of the zoo. There are also snack kiosks and vending machines throughout.
- Antwerp Zoo is completely barrier-free; there are accessible toilets and wheelchairs are available to use free of charge.
- There’s a gift shop at the zoo.
How to get there
Antwerp Zoo (Dierentuin) is a stop on most hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus routes of Antwerp. From Antwerp Centraal, the city’s major train station, the zoo is a 1-minute walk. The closest metro stations are Ommeganck and Ploeg, which are located on opposite corners of the zoo.
When to get there
Antwerp Zoo (Dierentuin) is open 365 days a year from mid-morning until late afternoon. To avoid peak crowds, visit during the week or outside of Belgium’s summer holidays, which occur during July and August.
Discover the Diamond District
After you’ve explored Antwerp Zoo, head over to the nearby Diamond District, which sees more than 80 percent of the world’s uncut diamonds pass through its workshops. Throughout the small quarter, storefronts glitter with everything from traditional rings and bracelets to Lebanese, Russian, and Chinese gems. It's a great place to window shop or splash out depending on your budget.
- Central Station
- Diamond District
- Rubens House (Rubenshuis)
- ModeMuseum (MoMu)
- Grand Market Place (Grote Markt van Antwerpen)
- Plantin-Moretus Museum
- Butcher's Hall (Vleeshuis)
- De Koninck Antwerp City Brewery
- Museum aan de Stroom (MAS)
- Het Zuid
- Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp (KMSKA)
- Brabo Fountain
- Museum of Contemporary Art Antwerp (M HKA)