Jewish Historical Museum (Joods Historisch Museum)
There are plenty of options for purchasing admission to the Jewish Historical Museum. Choose the Amsterdam and Holland Pass and get discounted or free admission to many of Amsterdam’s top sights including the Jewish Historical Museum. Or choose a Jewish Cultural Quarter admission pass for entry to the Jewish Historical Museum, Children’s Museum, Portuguese Synagogue, and National Holocaust Memorial. To learn even more about Amsterdam’s Jewish history, take a small-group or private tour of Amsterdam’s old Jewish Quarter.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Jewish Historical Museum is ideal for those keenly interested in the history and culture of the Jewish people.
An on-site café features kosher foods and Dutch-Jewish specialities.
The museum shop features a huge selection of Jewish literature and gifts.
The museum is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The Jewish Historical Museum is located just steps from Waterlooplein Square, east of the city center, in the heart of Amsterdam’s former Jewish Quarter. From Amsterdam Centraal Station, take tram 14 to the Mr. Visserplein stop or metro line 51, 53 or 54 to Waterlooplein. Nearby attractions include the Hortus Botanicus and the Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo.
When to Get There
The museum is open from 11am to 5pm daily, except for on major Dutch and Jewish holidays. The venue features films, lectures, and special events for children; check out the museum’s website for a current calendar of events.
Other Jewish Quarter Attractions
With the Jewish Historical Museum ticket, you’ll also receive admission to the Portuguese Synagogue, Hollandsche Schouwburg, and National Holocaust Museum—all of which are within a short walk of each other. The Portuguese Synagogue, completed in 1675, is still a house of worship, and the Hollandsche Schouwburg is a memorial to the Jewish people deported from Amsterdam during World War II. The National Holocaust Museum tells stories of the Holocaust through ever-changing exhibits.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Portuguese Synagogue
- Hermitage Amsterdam
- Waterlooplein Market
- Xtracold Icebar
- Rembrandt House Museum (Museum Het Rembrandthuis)
- Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)
- Museum Willet-Holthuysen
- Zuiderkerk (Southern Church)
- National Holocaust Museum
- National Holocaust Memorial (Hollandsche Schouwburg)
- Rembrandt Square (Rembrandtplein)
- Museum of Bags and Purses
- Dutch Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)
- Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo (Natura Artis Magistra)